Phone: (513) 771-2444
Fax: (513) 771-2447
Email: Email Me
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property (Copyright & Trademark)
- Employment Law
- Business Law
- Residential Real Estate
- Evaluated and prosecuted multiple trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Defended clients from claims of copyright and trademark infringement by responding to cease and desist letters and corresponding with opposing side.
- Successfully enforced and protected clients’ trademarks and copyrights through cease and desist letters and follow up negotiations with infringers.
- Evaluated and filed multiple copyright applications with the U.S. Copyright Office, including applications for software, music, and textbooks.
- Successfully obtained a pre-litigation settlement for a photographer when the photographer’s photograph was used on a major publication without permission.
- Succeeded in removing a client’s copyrighted materials from an infringing website using a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice.
- Represented employer in mediation proceedings with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and obtained a fair settlement several times smaller than the original demand by the employee.
- Assisted employer in handling investigations by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) and U.S. Department of Labor (DOL).
- Represented employer in an unemployment compensation appeal in front of the Unemployment Compensation Review Commission (UCRC) and sustained a denial of benefits based on employee quitting without just cause.
- Successfully obtained a pre-litigation settlement against a former employee that violated a client’s non-competition agreement.
- Drafted and provided guidance on employee severance agreements both on the employer and employee side.
- Assisted franchisee in reviewing Franchise Disclosure Document and Franchise Agreement. Provided guidance on a commercial lease for the franchise location.
- Obtained or assisted in obtaining 501(c)(3) tax exempt status for multiple non-profit corporations.
- Coordinated multiple residential real estate transactions, both on the side of the seller and buyer.
|Alex has written a number of articles related to the practice areas above. A list of those articles can be found in the attached PDF (1 page, 144kb). To request any of Alex’s articles, click here.|
Alex is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati where he received a Bachelor’s degree, magna cum laude. While at the University of Cincinnati, Alex was involved in several student organizations, served as President of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, and was tapped into the Phi Rho Chi Men’s Honorary Organization. Following graduation, Alex received a full scholarship to the Graduate School at the University of Cincinnati where he earned a Master’s Degree.
Alex received his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Law where he received a partial scholarship and dean’s list honors. While in law school, Alex was involved with the Sports and Entertainment Law Society, the Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity, and served as a Summer Public Interest Fellow.
While in graduate and law school, Alex amassed over two full years of diverse legal experience. He completed a summer clerkship with the Honorable Judge Robert Ruehlman in the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas. He also clerked at two local law firms where he worked on civil litigation, medical malpractice, contract actions, civil rights actions, and a variety of other matters. At one of the firms, he assisted in the drafting of a Petition for Writ of Certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition to these experiences, Alex served as an extern in the University of Cincinnati’s NCAA Compliance Office and worked as an intern in the University of Cincinnati’s Intellectual Property Office.
While in the University of Cincinnati’s Intellectual Property Office (also known as the Office of Entrepreneurial Affairs and Technology Commercialization), Alex researched the patentability and marketability of several inventions created by university faculty and assisted the licensing associates in deciding whether the university should pursue a patent and financially invest in the inventions.
Alex is focused on helping businesses protect their valuable intellectual property assets, including copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. He also works with businesses to reduce their risk of employment litigation by putting together employee handbooks, advising on non-competition agreements, and assisting with employee-related issues, among other employment law matters.
- JD, University of Cincinnati (2012)
- MS, University of Cincinnati (2009)
- BS, University of Cincinnati (2008)
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Ohio Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association, Outreach Committee
- Delta Tau Delta
- Phi Alpha Delta
Follow Alex on Google+: